Friday, May 21, 2010

John Maine is a Liar?


The Mets are hurting for starters with Ollie Perez being demoted to the bullpen and Jonathan Niese ailing. So why in the world would manager Jerry Manuel pull a healthy John Maine from a start 5 pitches into the game? That's right, Maine wasn't hurt, but apparently committed the cardinal sin of walking the first batter of the game. How dare he? The nerve of that bastard!

But really, why was Maine yanked?
"I just didn't think John had enough to compete tonight. When he's throwing that way, then there's got to be something incorrect in that arm. Something's got to be feeling bad. John's a habitual liar in a lot of ways as far as his own health. He's a competitor and a warrior and he wants to go out there and pitch. But you have to be smart enough to realize this guy isn't right. The ball is not coming out of his hand correctly."
~Pitching Coach Dan Warthen


Maine doesn't see it that way, he's pretty pissed...
"Look, I've felt pain for two years, but I'm over that. I don't care about that. I'm well enough to pitch. I wanted to pitch. That's the bottom line. I've got no position. I don't have enough clout. I don't have enough star power to say anything. Whatever happens, happens. I don't care if it's 95. I don't care if its 75 mph. I just want to go out there and pitch. I think that's what I'm most upset about. I would like an explanation. Me throwing 85 mph I don't think is a good explanation to be taken out. I was asked in the bullpen if Valdes should get up and throw, and I said no. I said, 'I'm out here to pitch, and that's what I want to do.' I said, 'Regardless of what happens, it could be 10 runs in an inning or I could go out there and throw seven innings, I want to pitch.' That's what I want to do. That's my goal every single time. I said, 'I want to pitch.' The next thing I know, Valdes is warming up and I'm coming out. I don't understand. I'm sure he doesn't have any confidence with me. Whatever."
~John Maine

Yikes, more drama for the drama queens from Queens. The Mets are a mess.

1 comment: