Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Citi Field


This weekend I had a chance to experience the new home of the New York Mets, Citi Field. The Stadium offers great views from all seats and is a lot more comfortable than its predecessor, Shea Stadium. The food (chicken fingers, hot dogs, nachos) and drink (Budweiser and Bud Light) were reasonably priced and were readily accessible throughout the park. The 41,800 seat facility, cost approximately $1 Billion to construct and opened for business in 2009. I have had the chance to watch a game in both Shea and Citi and I can honestly say with out a doubt that Citi Field is a huge upgrade! The architects did a great job with this park.


THE GAME:
Our tickets were in the second row in left center field and the stadium was fairly empty. I guess that's what happens when your team is 62-75. The Mets beat the Cubs 4-2. Mike Pelfrey was great for 8, Daniel Murphy was 3-4, a double short of the cycle, drove in all 4 Mets runs and Francisco Rodriguez earned the save on his bobble head day. The Amazin's took the series from the Cubbies 2 games to 1 and are now only 16 games back of the Phillies in the National League East and 15.5 games back of the Rockies in the race for the Wild Card. I think the Mets are about to make a late season push! I didn't have a chance to upload the pictures from the game so they will be up in the near future.
All in all, Citi Field is one of the nicer parks I have been to. I would recommend taking some time and making the trip.

8 comments:

GM-Carson said...

When I retire I want to do a summer tour of all the MLB parks. Of course by that time Citi Field and other other newers parks will be old, smelly, and broken down by then.

tamtam said...

LOOOLLLLL!!!! :D

LynnieMac said...

According to a recent story seen in one of the New York papers (forgive me please for not remembering which one), Citi Field is already smelly and broken down. There are pigeons roosting in the overhangs with their droppings falling on people, their food, and their beverages; luxury suites (including Jerry Seinfeld's) being ruined by mold; and pipes bursting near the bullpens.

tamtam said...

are you serious, lynnie mac? that sounds like wrigley field which is older than dirt, as opposed to citi field which is brand new!

LynnieMac said...

I certainly have no love for the Mets' organization, but after all they've been through this year, even I am starting to feel bad for them. This story has been reported elsewhere, but it turns out the NY Post is where I first read about it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/queens/mets_fans_grumble_at_ballpark_crumble_qVrE2T3Qt5f3TfbfMz5qxH

LynnieMac said...

Sorry, I am html illiterate. If you have the time, just Google "citi field mold" and look for the NY Post link.

Jorge Says No! said...

As a Met fan, I have to say that Citi Field is much, much nicer than Shea.

But for some strange reason, I miss Shea.

GM-Carson said...

I still miss the Vet and the cheap seats in the 700 level. Citizens Bank Park is amazing, but being able to catch a doubleheader for $8, then move down to the bottom sections when nobody showed up was awesome. Hell, you can barely even get a ticket now in Philly.