Friday, April 17, 2009

Tell Me What You Really Think

Sometimes in baseball sportsmanship goes out the window.

Players about Players
The Mets have shown me ways to lose I never even knew existed." --Casey Stengel, 1962.

"If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are." --Casey Stengel, referring to his own 1953 New York Yankees team.

"When Charlie Finley had his heart operation it took eight hours.
Seven just to find his heart." --Oakland A's pitcher Steve McCatty, 1981.

"He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course, he'd call a press conference to announce it." --Catfish Hunter on Reggie Jackson.

"He's really turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed." --Harry Kalas on Gary Maddox.

"After I hit a home run I had a habit of running the bases with my head down. I figured the pitcher already felt bad enough without me showing him up rounding the bases." --Mickey Mantle

From Managers and Owners
"I knew I was in for a long year when we lined up for the national
anthem on opening day and one of my players said, 'Every time I hear
that song I have a bad game.'" -- Pittsburgh Pirates manager Jim Leyland, 1986.

"He makes too many senseless errors. He has this little gong that
goes off, saying, 'Hey, this time I'll do something different.'
That's when I swallow my tobacco." -- San Francisco Giants manager Charlie Fox, on his own second baseman, Tito Fuentes, 1973.

"I get tired of hearing my ballplayers bellyache all the time. They should sit in the press box sometime and watch themselves play." -- San Diego Padres president Buzzie Bavasi, 1973.

"If he raced his pregnant wife he'd finish third." --Tommy Lasorda on catcher Mike Scioscia.

"Look at him. He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't chew
and he doesn't stay out late -- and he still can't hit." --Casey Stengel as Yankees manager in 1956, on second baseman Bobby Richardson.

From Players to Managers
"I told him I wasn't tired. He told me, 'No, but the outfielders
sure are.'" --Texas Rangers pitcher Jim Kern on the manager who removed him from a game, 1979.

"He'd go into the vault to get a nickel change." -- St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Enos Slaughter, on general manager Branch Rickey, 1934.

"It's a good thing Babe Ruth isn't still here -- George would have
him bat seventh and say he's overweight." -- New York Yankees third baseman Graig Nettles on owner George Steinbrenner.

From Sports Announcers
"They (Expos fans) discovered ‘boo’ is pronounced the same in French as it is in English." --Harry Caray

"Rex Barney would be the the league's best pitcher if the plate were high and outside." --Bob Cooke

"He should have been better, pitching on 3,195 days rest." --Steve Blass on Jimmy Boudreau, who had been out of pro baseball for almost nine years.

Complaints Department
"Candlestick was built on the water. It should have been built under it.” --Roger Maris

"I never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes." --Leo Durocher

Sometimes, they even insult themselves...
"Our pain isn't as bad as you might think. Dead people don't
suffer." -- Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee, whose team had blown six games against the Yankees late in the 1978 season.

"A shave, please, but don't cut my throat. I may want to do it later
myself." -- Casey Stengel to his barber, when Stengel managed the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1935.

"When we win, I'm so happy I eat a lot. When we lose, I'm so depressed, I eat a lot. When we're rained out, I'm so disappointed I eat a lot.' --Tommy Lasorda

"It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course." --Hank Aaron

"I asked the doctor before he closed the wound if he could put some brains in there." --Rex Hudler, after smacking into a wall going after a foul ball.


Robot Chicken - Elmer Fudd vs Bugs Bunny Rap Battle

11 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I love Hank Aaron's 3000th hits quote.

Nice collection, how's you compile them?

YouGabSports said...

Personal favorite was the one from LaSorda about Scoscia's speed on the basepaths. I wonder how he clocks Manny?

tamtam said...

HAHAHAAAA!!!! that quote about candlestick park is hysterical!

you guys never fail to amuse me! will you be doing this segment again in the future?

GM-Carson said...

I'm glad people find us amusing/funny. I crack myself up all the time.

Burton said...

As I continue to collect them, I'll post them.

To answer your question GM, I have books and websites I pull prandom baseball quotes from.

GM-Carson said...

What the fuck are "prandom" quotes?

tamtam said...

you might wanna run the spellcheck on your comments next time, burton

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors handbags, nike outlet, red bottom shoes, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, christian louboutin, true religion outlet, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach purses, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet store, chanel handbags, ray ban outlet, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, tory burch outlet online, louis vuitton handbags, kate spade outlet online, kate spade outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, coach outlet, oakley vault, true religion, longchamp outlet

oakleyses said...

sac louis vuitton, michael kors uk, air jordan, nike air max, mulberry, michael kors canada, nike roshe run, louis vuitton, ralph lauren, guess pas cher, true religion outlet, oakley pas cher, nike free, chaussure louboutin, sac michael kors, nike air force, converse pas cher, longchamp, tn pas cher, scarpe hogan, ray ban pas cher, nike roshe, abercrombie and fitch, hollister, nike air max, north face, sac vanessa bruno, hermes pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, lacoste pas cher, true religion jeans, ray ban uk, louis vuitton uk, north face pas cher, hollister, lululemon, air max pas cher, louis vuitton pas cher, burberry pas cher, new balance pas cher, barbour, timberland, vans pas cher, nike free pas cher, air max, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher

oakleyses said...

nike roshe, asics shoes, celine handbags, ugg outlet, canada goose outlet, birkin bag, marc jacobs outlet, bottega veneta, ugg boots, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, nfl jerseys, mont blanc pens, instyler ionic styler, north face jackets, replica watches, abercrombie and fitch, ugg soldes, ugg boots clearance, beats headphones, babyliss, p90x workout, wedding dresses, reebok shoes, uggs on sale, ferragamo shoes, giuseppe zanotti, nike huarache, valentino shoes, ghd, jimmy choo shoes, ugg, lululemon outlet, chi flat iron, north face jackets, herve leger, hollister, insanity workout, soccer shoes, canada goose, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, vans outlet, longchamp, soccer jerseys, new balance outlet, nike trainers, canada goose outlet, mac cosmetics

oakleyses said...

juicy couture outlet, montre femme, thomas sabo uk, louis vuitton canada, air max, moncler, moncler, iphone 6 case, canada goose, parajumpers outlet, juicy couture outlet, converse, uggs canada, swarovski uk, timberland shoes, replica watches, nike air max, moncler, converse shoes, gucci, ray ban, hollister, ralph lauren, pandora jewelry, vans, swarovski jewelry, lancel, canada goose pas cher, toms outlet, oakley, canada goose, moncler, moncler outlet, supra shoes, moncler outlet, karen millen, pandora uk, hollister canada, canada goose, moncler, wedding dress, coach outlet, baseball bats, links of london uk, hollister clothing, louboutin, pandora charms, ugg