Friday, March 20, 2009

What's In a Name?

What if our last names actually describe who or what we are? Years ago Topps Magazine ran an article depicting players as literal interpretations of their surnames. In keeping with that tradition, I have combed through the rosters of teams and found a startling number of players with potentially fun last names. Here are players from the Baltimore Orioles.

Pitching
A portion of the Orioles pitching rotation has a nautical theme this year, with Brian "Largemouth" Bass, Chris "Manta" Ray, and "Chris-Tal Clear" Waters.


The remainder of the pitching staff with literal last names include new comer Rich Hill, "old timer" Jamie Walker, and not-yet-out-of-the-plastic Chorye Spoone, who has yet to make his MLB debut, and therefore not on the active roster.


Closing out the Orioles' roster is former Cubs rookie, Felix Pie, bats left, throws left, and goes great with vanilla ice cream.


As is tradition for the Orioles

John Denver - Thank God I'm A Country Boy

11 comments:

GM-Carson said...

That's amazing that the O's have that many players with nouns as last names. I wonder how the other teams compare. But I'm guessing that might be future posts down the line...

LONG DRIVE: A PHILLIES BLOG said...

The Feliz Pie pic made me laugh my ass off.

GM-Carson said...

Looks like blueberry to me. If it were apple, I know where some of his teammates would turn to on a lonely night.

Mr. A-Hole said...

What the hell am I missing, John Denver and the Orioles?

Burton said...

Don't ask me, they're the ones that sing it during the 7th inning stretch...

GM-Carson said...

Camden Yards is a great ballpark. You can still get very reasonable tickets there too.

Burton said...

Felix Pie is raspberry and blueberry.

Anonymous said...

FUCK!

tamtam said...

mmmm...felix pie looks delicious :p. i cant wait to get a bite out of him. he looks yummy, especially with a la mode!

GM-Carson said...

Anonymous is getting on my nerves. Make real comments instead of vulgarities, or at least mix the vulgarities into real comments.

Burton said...

Yeah, you fucking prick!