Monday, March 23, 2009

More Fun With Names

While gathering information on current teams (for Fantasy Baseball purposes), I was amused to see how many players had nouns for last names. It reminded me of an old article I had seen as a kid in Topps Magazine, where baseball cards were altered to reflect literal interpretations of players last names - I distinctly recall David Cone, who was depicted as a giant baseball pitching ice cream cone. Friday, I looked at the Orioles. Today, I pick on players from the Red Sox and Tigers franchises.

Boston Red Sox
Only two men on the 40-man roster had nouns as names; Brad "Copper" Penny (formerly of the Dodgers) and Jason "Cape Cod" Bay. The third player's name, Dusty "Pig Pen" Brown, contains nothing but adjectives.



Detroit Tigers
The Tigers, too, were under represented in the fun names department. See if you can guess which pictures are of Casper "Wishing" Wells, Brandon "Cowardly" Lyon (formerly of the Diamondbacks), and Kyle "Daisy" Bloom.


Each stadium has its own traditions and tunes they play during the seventh inning stretch. For the Orioles, it is John Denver, for the Boston Red Sox, it is Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline." I am as baffled as you are. But there you have it.

Fans sing "Sweet Caroline" during Game 2 of the 2007 World Series.

10 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Fever Pitch is a fun baseball movie, and that's how I learned Sox fans sang Sweet Caroline.

LONG DRIVE: A PHILLIES BLOG said...

This shit is fucking hilarious.

GM-Carson said...

Well, he's only 3 teams so far, so expect much more hilarity to come.

LONG DRIVE: A PHILLIES BLOG said...

When he does the Phillies I expect Scott Eyre's to be pretty funny.

GM-Carson said...

Eyre, Coste, Mad-Son, Mayberry, there's some possibilities.

tamtam said...

i love jason bay's card. he looks like he's flexin' some muscle! (not a juicer-no juicer would have biceps that limp)

Burton said...

Thanks tam, that's what I was going for, I tried to stick a bat in there, but it never turned out right.

Jere said...

Sweet Caroline is sung in the middle of the eighth inning at Fenway.

The seventh inning is for Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

Listen to my piece from April '08 about it this common mistake here (you can skip to about 3:25).

Burton said...

My bad, fuck Wiki!

GM-Carson said...

I trust that fucking madeup "encyclopedia" far too often as well.